Joss Whedon Urges Boycott of Mike Birbiglia's 'Sleepwalk With Me' (Video)
The "Avengers" director is calling upon his minions to bring about the demise of the indie hit comedy.
We must be in some sort of bizarro world. Something must have happened to the rotation of the earth when Iron Man chased the nuclear missile into the portal into space. How else to explain Joss Whedon, acting as big studio bully, plotting against the underdog?
In a new video released to YouTube, the long-time cult TV creator-turned-tentpole director urges his rabid fan base to boycott comedian Mike Birbiglia's upcoming film, Sleepwalk With Me. Here's the deal: Whedon's Avengers debuted on over 4,000 screens, and is now the third highest-earning film of all time, but is now down to under 500 screens (over three months since its release, of course). Meanwhile, Sleepwalk has had its original order of 30 opening screens more than doubled, with even more on tap if the film does well.
It's Whedon's goal to be Joss the Comedian Slayer.
It's all fun and games, of course; Whedon is always supporting indie projects -- he has his own homemade, black and white Much Ado About Nothing coming out, in fact.
And, besides, he has little to worry about; the chances are slim that Sleepwalk will match Avengers' $1.46 billion worldwide.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hunger Games: Mockinghay' Teaser Trailer Debuts at Comic-Con - See an Awesome Hologram Video!
- Chloe Moretz & Kellan Lutz Get the Fans Pumped at Comic-Con's MTVu Fandom Awards!
- Kesha Teases New Music on 'The Tonight Show': 'It's Super Top Secret & Awesome'
- Kings of Leon Perform Their Hit Songs on 'Good Morning America' - Watch Now!