'Jurassic World' Director Responds to Online Plot Leaks
Colin Trevorrow confirms (and corrects) leaked information about next year's revival of the dinosaur disaster movie franchise.
When information about next year’s Jurassic World started leaking online last week, it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to expect director Colin Trevorrow to quietly ignore the leaks and press on as if nothing had happened. Instead, he’s decided to confirm and correct the info that got out.
“Sometimes [leaks] aren’t misinterpreted or false,” Trevorrow told /Film. “They’re real story elements that the filmmakers were hoping to introduce to the audience in a darkened movie theater. But unfortunately, in 2014, you read about it on a computer.” He went on to say that the leaks were “discouraging for everyone on our crew” because they meant intended surprises had been ruined for the audience.
The director confirmed that the movie “takes place in a fully functional park on Isla Nublar [that] sees more than 20,000 visitors every day,” and combines elements of a biological preserve, zoo and theme park, with the island also being home to a luxury resort (and, of course, some dinosaurs). “It’s the realization of [original Jurassic Park character] John Hammond’s dream, and I think you’ll want to go there,” Trevorrow teased.
The director also confirmed that there will be a “new” dinosaur breed in the movie, saying that it was a “natural evolution of the technology introduced in the first film” that “exists to fulfill a corporate mandate” within the fictional universe. He did, however, quash the rumor that Jurassic World features “good dinosaurs and bad dinosaurs.”
“There are predators and prey,” he told the movie website. “This film is about our relationship with animals, how we react to the threat they pose to our dominance on Earth as a species.”
Jurassic World is scheduled for release June 12, 2015.