Kenneth Branagh in Negotiations to Direct Jack Ryan Movie
The helmer takes over from Jack Bender, who exited the Paramount project last week.
Just a week after Paramount’s untitled Jack Ryan project lost Jack Bender as its director, leaving its future a little in doubt, the project has found new life with Kenneth Branagh.
Branagh, who last directed Thor, is in negotiations to helm the action movie based on the Tom Clancy spy novels.
The Jack Ryan character from the novels by Tom Clancy is being refashioned as a star vehicle for Star Trek actor Chris Pine. The long-in-development reboot is being produced by Paramount and Skydance Pictures and is expected to begin filming this summer, once Pine finishes Star Trek 2.
Bender had been attached to the project since last year but last week departed the project. His commitments to television pilots were one reason for the departure.
Branagh, repped by WME, has been an actor-director since the late 1980s and despite showing the occasional flair for populist fare stuck mostly to Shakespearean adaptations. Last year’s Thor changed the town’s perception of his abilities and sources say he brings a sophistication to the project that seeks to redefine the character.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Darling 'Dawson's Creek' Spoof Stars Dachshunds Instead Of Humans
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- 'Wasn't He Gay?': A Revealing Question About Mister Rogers
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!
- Kiernan Shipka Is Pretty in Pink at Broadcasting & Cable Hall Of Fame Awards 2014
- Megan Fox Gets Covered in Blood for a James Franco Project