Kevin Feige Teases Thanos' Importance to 'Guardians of the Galaxy'
Is the Behind-the-Scenes Big Bad of "Avengers" going to play a similar role in next year's outer-space Marvel adventure?
Now that we know Ultron is the main villain of the second Avengers movie, you might be wondering what, exactly, has become of the purple guy glimpsed during the post-credits sequence of The Avengers. Could that character -- the mad god Thanos, as comic fans know him -- turn out to be the mover and shaker behind events in next year's Guardians of the Galaxy, instead? Well, apparently, the answer to that one might be a little complicated.
Talking to Empire, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said that "Ronan the Accuser [Lee Pace's character] is very much the main bad guy" of the movie, but added that "Thanos is lurking above it all. You will learn more about Thanos in Guardians, for sure. Certainly you'll get more than one turn-around-and-smirk. You'll get much more than that."
Thanos, Feige explained, was the connective tissue between Guardians and the other Marvel movies, although he didn't elaborate on what that would mean for future Thanos appearances. Having seen him turn out to be ultimately behind the attack on Earth in the first Avengers and now reading hints that he'll be "above it all" in Guardians, it's worth considering the possibility that he'll also turn out to be responsible for Ultron in some way during Age of Ultron, leading to some kind of showdown in Avengers 3.
What kind of a showdown? Well, the comic version of Thanos has always had particular interest in the "soul gems" that grant the wearer of the Infinity Gauntlet omnipotence, and we've already seen the Infinity Gauntlet in the Thor movie. Just saying, of course.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Darling 'Dawson's Creek' Spoof Stars Dachshunds Instead Of Humans
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- 'Wasn't He Gay?': A Revealing Question About Mister Rogers
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!
- Kiernan Shipka Is Pretty in Pink at Broadcasting & Cable Hall Of Fame Awards 2014
- Megan Fox Gets Covered in Blood for a James Franco Project