'Kings Watch' Proves Flash Gordon, Phantom and Mandrake Still Have It
The first issue of a comic book revival of King Features' famous newspaper-strip characters sells out 10,000+ print run on first day of release.
When you think of fan-favorite Saturday morning cartoons to revive, some immediately come to mind -- Thundercats! He-Man and the Masters of The Universe! and so on -- and some … well, don't. On that latter list, I would have placed Defenders of the Earth, Marvel Productions' attempt to make a superhero team out of King Features' newspaper-strip heroes Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician and the Phantom. Who wanted to see those guys team up again? Turns out, a lot of people.
The first issue of Kings Watch, a new Dynamite Entertainment series by Jeff Parker and Marc Laming that reteams the three characters, sold out of its entire 10,425-copy print run in its first day of release, proving that there's apparently an audience out there for a Defenders revival after all.
Dynamite has previously published series featuring two of the characters, including Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist and The Last Phantom (Sadly, there really didn't seem to be any desire to give Mandrake his turn in the spotlight), and has been quietly building a line filled with pulp favorites for some years now; the publisher also has ongoing series for the Shadow and the Green Hornet, among other characters. Last week it was announced that Dynamite would launch a new Doc Savage series in December.
A second print of Kings Watch #1 is expected to reach comic stores in time for October's second issue, giving newcomers a chance to catch up with what's happened to date. Now, who holds the movie rights to these characters so that they can get started on a Kings Watch adaptation …?
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel