Leigh Whannell to Direct 'Insidious: Chapter 3'
Focus will open the movie in the U.S. on April 3, 2015.
Leigh Whannell has signed on to direct Insidious: Chapter 3, the latest installment in the hugely successful horror franchise.
Whannell is an old hand when it comes to Insidious, having written the first two movies, which were directed by James Wan. Whannell also co-created the Saw franchise and co-wrote Cooties, a horror comedy that premiered at Sundance.
Focus Features, which acquired the rights to distribute Insidious: Chapter 3 from FilmDistrict, will release the movie April 3, 2015. EOne will distribute the picture in Canada, the U.K. and Spain. Sony will distribute the picture in the rest of the world.
Principal photography is scheduled to start on July 7. Jason Blum and his Blumhouse Productions are producing with Oren Peli and Wan.
The first movie starred Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne and Lin Shaye and told of a family dealing with a demon that possesses their son. It was released in 2011 and grossed $97 million on a reported budget of $1.5 million, making it one of the most profitable movies of the year. The sequel grossed $160 million worldwide.
Whannell is repped by Paradigm, Stacey Testro International and attorney David Fox.
Follow Heat Vision
- T-Pain on What Happened to His Aaliyah Collaboration, Furious 7, and FKA Twigs' Engagement to Robert Pattinson [Updated]
- Patricia Arquette Will Follow Up Her Oscar Win With a Memoir
- Pete Holmes on How the Comedian Became the Modern-Day Philosopher
- Ed Sheeran Fits Right in With the Cast of Sesame Street
- You Can Own a 'Magic Mike XXL' T-Shirt with Channing Tatum's Shirtless Torso On the Front!
- Kelly Clarkson Makes Epic Return to 'American Idol,' Sings 'At Last' & 'Heartbeat Song' - Watch Now!
- George Clooney & Sacha Baron Cohen Hug It Out After Dinner
- Zayn Malik & Perrie Edwards Look Too Cute Together in New Pic