Lily Collins to Star in a Resurrected 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'
Burr Steers is now on board to direct the adaptation of the Seth Grahame-Smith mash-up novel, being financed by Panorama.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is back from the dead.
The adaptation of the breakout mashup novel by Seth Grahame-Smith was originally set up at Lionsgate with Natalie Portman attached to star.
Then it went through a revolving door of directors including David O. Russell, Mike White, Craig Gillespie, while actresses such as Scarlett Johansson, Mia Wasikowska and Anne Hathaway flirted with starring in it.
But the producers -- Portman, Annette Savitch, Richard Kelly and Sean McKittrick -- never lost hope, and like a member of the living dead going after a piece of meat, kept at it and have now attached Lily Collins to star and Burr Steers, the director behind the Zac Efron movies 17 Again and Charlie St. Cloud, to helm the adaptation.
Panorama will produce and finance and will sell the project at Cannes.
Zombies remain a hot commodity as does a little genre-bending. For example, Warm Bodies, a zombie love story, made more than $116 million worldwide.
And the producers have a star on the rise in Collins. The actress, who starred in Mirror, Mirror, stars in this summer’s Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Screen Gems and Constantin already are planning a sequel based on the advance buzz on that YA adaptation.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner
- Even Government Agencies Play The 'Kim Kardashian: Hollywood' Game, And Here's Proof
- Jon Stewart Learns What Happens When You Criticize Israel