'Machete Kills' Director Robert Rodriguez Says Sequel Takes Series 'To Another Level'
The filmmaker hopes to handle directing duties himself for "Machete Kills," which will immediately precede another highly-anticipated sequel, "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For."
As previously reported by THR, Robert Rodriguez is finally set to direct a sequel to Sin City entitled A Dame to Kill For. But before the filmmaker steps back into comic creator Frank Miller’s bleak, black & white world, Rodriguez is scheduled to shoot a different sequel – Machete Kills, a follow-up to his 2010 grindhouse tribute Machete. Although he shared directing duties with Ethan Maniquis on the original, he told THR he’d like to take Machete Kills on by himself, if possible.
“Currently I am directing it,” Rodriguez said during an interview about the Blu-ray release of his second feature film, Roadracers. “But we’re checking to see if there’s going to be the need for another director if I have to go off and do Sin City. I wasn’t sure what the timing on Sin City was or if I would have to step off to do Sin City at a certain point, depending on when Machete went. But Machete looks like it’s going to go pretty quickly so it’s possible that I will direct the whole thing.”
Potential schedule conflicts notwithstanding, Rodriguez admitted he would like to do it himself if only because he likes the script so much. “There’s so much of it that I want to direct I’ll probably end up directing the whole thing,” he said. “But if I have to step off, I’m going to try and shoot all of the actors and all of the main sequences. But it’s such a fun movie, and it just came out even more fun than I could have imagined.”
“I feel like I really need to do it, he reiterated. “It’s so subjective I feel like I really need to get in there and do it. It’s just a lot of fun; it’s a really cool concept, and I think it takes it to another level in a way that’s compelling for me to go and do it myself."
Roadracers was released on Blu-ray April 17, 2012.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Movie Review: A Walk Among the Tombstones
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!