'Madagascar' Spin-Off to Be Helmed by 'Bee Movie' Co-Director (Exclusive)
The DreamWorks project will highlight the wily penguins from the animated comedy.
Simon Smith, who co-directed DreamWorks Animations’ Bee Movie, had been tapped to direct the animation house’s untitled Madagascar spin-off starring the penguins.
Also coming on board is Lara Breay (Megamind), who will produce.
DWA put the movie project into fast-track development in March, hiring Alan J. Schoolcraft and Brent Simons, the writers behind DWA's Will Ferrell-voiced Megamind, to pen the script focusing on the paramilitary parables of plucky penguins Skipper, Kowalski, Private and Rico.
The quartet are the secondary but scene-stealing characters of the Madagascar movies.
The project is still a ways a way from casting anyone.
Smith is a DWA animator who has slowly but surely risen through the ranks. He was head of layout for the company’s Antz and Shrek, and a layout consultant on Shrek 2 before directing the Shrek 4-D animated attraction which is part of the Universal Studios theme park. He also directed two video shorts that were DVD extras on DWA releases: the Shrek-themed short Far Far Away Idol and Megamind: The Button of Doom.
The Jerry Seinfeld-centric Bee Movie, released in 2007, was co-directed with Steve Hickner.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack