Marc Webb, Hans Zimmer Form Supergroup for 'Amazing Spider-Man 2'
Pharrell Williams, Johnny Marr, Michael Einziger and Dave Stewart are in the band that will create the music for Sony's sequel.
Spider-Man is getting a supergroup.
Sony announced Thursday that director Marc Webb and composer Hans Zimmer have formed a supergroup that includes Pharrell Williams, Johnny Marr, Michael Einziger and Dave Stewart to create the music for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
The film, which will be directed by Webb and sees the return of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, is set for release in the U.S. on May 2. Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Jeff Pinkner wrote the script, and Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing.
"Marc and I were talking about Spider-Man, and as the word got out, so many of our friends and musicians started calling us up, wanting to be a part of it, because they love Spider-Man," said Zimmer in a statement. "With all of these hugely talented people wanting to join us, it was Marc who said, 'Why not start a band?' Marc and I have had a great start jamming with everybody, and we still have a few surprises up our sleeve."
Zimmer has worked with all the members of his supergroup on other projects. He collaborated with Williams on the hit animated film Despicable Me, as Williams produced four original solo songs and several other character-sung pieces. They also collaborated on the music for the 84th annual Academy Awards. Marr played on Zimmer's score for Inception; Einziger played on his score for The Lone Ranger, and Stewart played with Zimmer on the score for Madagascar 3.
Along with a robust mainstream music career, Williams, a three-time Grammy winner, also composed songs and the score for Despicable Me 2.
Marr rose to fame as co-songwriter and founder member of The Smiths. He recently released a solo album, The Messenger.
Einziger is the founder/guitarist/songwriter for the band Incubus. He also scored the Josh Duhamel film Scenic Route.
Stewart's music career spans three decades and more than 100 million album sales, including his collaboration with Annie Lennox in the pop-rock duo Eurythmics. He's also a prolific producer and co-writer, having worked with Bono, Bryan Ferry, Gwen Stefani, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks and Katy Perry.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet