Marc Webb Promises 'Operatic' Sequel to 'Amazing Spider-Man'
"We're pushing the levels of effects, the level of action and the emotional capacity" for this summer's sequel, the director explains.
Following the alien invasions of both Marvel's The Avengers and Man of Steel, you could be forgiven for feeling underwhelmed by The Amazing Spider-Man 2's triple threat of Electro, the Rhino and a Green Goblin. Can super villains really measure up to the end of the world? According to director Marc Webb, yes.
"It's huge," Webb told Total Film magazine about this summer's new movie. "We're pushing the levels of effects, the level of action and the emotional capacity of this kind. It's an aggressive step forward."
He went on, saying that those working on the movie "throw around the term 'operatic' because of the spectacle and the theater involved, which is pretty epic. There are enormous sets and great set pieces. But really it's a very intimate song -- this relationship between Peter and Gwen is very delicate and beautiful."
Traditionally, Spider-Man stories work on a smaller scale than Avengers or Superman ones, but "operatic" sounds about right for the mix of melodrama and soap opera we've come to expect from Peter Parker's alter ego.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens May 2.
What Hollywood Earns
Follow Heat Vision
- Bedlam Overtakes Jane Austen, While F. Scott Fitzgerald Sings
- 'Free The Nipple' Trailer Shows Women Fighting For Equality Through The Right To Bare Chests
- Jimmy Kimmel Gets Into Bathroom Brawl With Freddie Wong Over Their Necktie Knowledge
- Carla Ferrigno, Angela Leslie And Louisa Moritz Come Forward With Allegations Against Bill Cosby
- Vanessa Hudgens Says Gigi On Broadway Role Is 'A Dream Come True'
- Joey King, Peyton List, Sabrina Carpenter & More Fresh Faces Hit Just Jared's Homecoming Dance
- Christian Grey Asks Anastasia Steele to Trust Him in 'Fifty Shades of Grey' New Trailer - Watch Now!
- Harry Styles Addresses Rumors That He Bought 1,989 Roses For Taylor Swift - Watch Now!