Marc Webb Promises 'Operatic' Sequel to 'Amazing Spider-Man'
"We're pushing the levels of effects, the level of action and the emotional capacity" for this summer's sequel, the director explains.
Following the alien invasions of both Marvel's The Avengers and Man of Steel, you could be forgiven for feeling underwhelmed by The Amazing Spider-Man 2's triple threat of Electro, the Rhino and a Green Goblin. Can super villains really measure up to the end of the world? According to director Marc Webb, yes.
"It's huge," Webb told Total Film magazine about this summer's new movie. "We're pushing the levels of effects, the level of action and the emotional capacity of this kind. It's an aggressive step forward."
He went on, saying that those working on the movie "throw around the term 'operatic' because of the spectacle and the theater involved, which is pretty epic. There are enormous sets and great set pieces. But really it's a very intimate song -- this relationship between Peter and Gwen is very delicate and beautiful."
Traditionally, Spider-Man stories work on a smaller scale than Avengers or Superman ones, but "operatic" sounds about right for the mix of melodrama and soap opera we've come to expect from Peter Parker's alter ego.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens May 2.
Follow Heat Vision
- T-Pain on What Happened to His Aaliyah Collaboration, Furious 7, and FKA Twigs' Engagement to Robert Pattinson [Updated]
- Patricia Arquette Will Follow Up Her Oscar Win With a Memoir
- Pete Holmes on How the Comedian Became the Modern-Day Philosopher
- Ed Sheeran Fits Right in With the Cast of Sesame Street
- You Can Own a 'Magic Mike XXL' T-Shirt with Channing Tatum's Shirtless Torso On the Front!
- Kelly Clarkson Makes Epic Return to 'American Idol,' Sings 'At Last' & 'Heartbeat Song' - Watch Now!
- George Clooney & Sacha Baron Cohen Hug It Out After Dinner
- Zayn Malik & Perrie Edwards Look Too Cute Together in New Pic