Marc Webb Promises 'Operatic' Sequel to 'Amazing Spider-Man'
"We're pushing the levels of effects, the level of action and the emotional capacity" for this summer's sequel, the director explains.
Following the alien invasions of both Marvel's The Avengers and Man of Steel, you could be forgiven for feeling underwhelmed by The Amazing Spider-Man 2's triple threat of Electro, the Rhino and a Green Goblin. Can super villains really measure up to the end of the world? According to director Marc Webb, yes.
"It's huge," Webb told Total Film magazine about this summer's new movie. "We're pushing the levels of effects, the level of action and the emotional capacity of this kind. It's an aggressive step forward."
He went on, saying that those working on the movie "throw around the term 'operatic' because of the spectacle and the theater involved, which is pretty epic. There are enormous sets and great set pieces. But really it's a very intimate song -- this relationship between Peter and Gwen is very delicate and beautiful."
Traditionally, Spider-Man stories work on a smaller scale than Avengers or Superman ones, but "operatic" sounds about right for the mix of melodrama and soap opera we've come to expect from Peter Parker's alter ego.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens May 2.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Matthew McConaughey’s Amazing Speech to the University of Texas Football Team Is a Perfect Way to Start Your Day
- Viola Davis Finally Gets the Lead Role She’s Been Waiting for in How to Get Away With Murder
- Watch Jennifer Garner and John Mulaney Play Catchphrase
- Adam Sandler Inks Exclusive Four-Film Deal With Netflix
- Emma Stone's 'Zombieland 2' Involvement is Unknown
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Take Legal Action, Accuse Photographer of Harassing Prince George
- Nick Jonas Grabs Himself, Shows His Butt Crack in These Shirtless Pics - See The Hot Photos Here!
- Celebrities Threaten Google with $100 Million Lawsuit Over Leaked Nude Images