Mark Millar Comic 'MPH' Optioned by Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Exclusive)
See THR's exclusive sneak peak of "MPH," with a teaser from the new comic by Millar and artist Duncan Fegredo.
MPH, the latest comic from creator Mark Millar, is also the latest to get Hollywood attention.
Lorenzo di Bonaventura, whose recent credits include the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies as well as comic book adaptation Red, has optioned the screen rights to the comic, which Millar co-created with Duncan Fegredo (who was a storyboard artist on Darren Aronofsky's Noah).
The move follows last week’s deal with Fox for Millar’s comic Superior.
The plan for MPH now is to get a writer on board before setting it up at a studio.
MPH centers on four 19-year olds who get their hands on a street drug that gives them the ability to move at light-speed for seven days. The first issue is due to come out on May 21 from Image Comics.
Millar says the MPH is the last of his books that comprise his Millarworld of titles (which include among others Starlight, already set up at Fox; The Secret Service, coming to a theater near you later this year; Kick-Ass, already made into two movies; and Jupiter's Legacy, whose rights he's holding on to for now) that will have their screen rights available until 2015. The author recently had a baby, finished the scripts for Starlight and the first volume of the epic Legacy, and is "going to chill," as he puts it, before tackling his next projects.
“(Lorenzo's) one of the few real moguls in the industry, having hired Chris Nolan for Batman and bought the rights to the Harry Potter books when he was head of Warner Bros. and then of course he's the guy behind the Transformers movies,” says Millar. “So he's a guy who really knows how to make huge pictures and he's somebody I've always wanted to work with on one of the bigger Millarworld adaptations.”
Heat Vision also has an exclusive peek at MPH in the form of a teaser trailer of sorts, done through panels from various issues that give you a taste of what to expect …
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- The Real Housewives of New York City Finale Had One Amazing Moment Involving a Prosthetic Leg
- Check Out the Real-Life Better Call Saul Billboard
- Everything We Know About the Production of Game of Thrones Season 5
- The Real Housewives of New York City Season 6 Finale Recap: Aviva Drescher Threw Her Leg