Marvel Teases Announcement of New Captain America
Steve Rogers will be replaced for the second time in the last decade as part of an upcoming storyline in the ongoing "Captain America" series.
For the second time since 2008, Steve Rogers will find himself replaced as Marvel Entertainment’s Captain America in a new storyline beginning in this fall’s Captain America No. 25.
The introduction of a new Captain America will be the latest event in an ongoing storyline from writer Rick Remender that has already seen Rogers lose the Super Soldier Serum, transforming him from the familiar sentinel of liberty into the 90-year-old man that he should be. Not that his new situation means that he’s sitting back and taking it easy, according to Remender.
“He’s basically orchestrating things and playing tactician, fighting against Zola, using his friends in the Avengers to try and do so,” the writer told Marvel.com in an interview accompanying news of a new Captain America. “He’s waging a war from a room rather than the front lines, which is new for Steve… He’s got all of his faculties and is still the super soldier he earned the right to be called; he just lacks the physical form.”
Rogers only reassumed the identity of Cap three years ago, following a three year stint from Bucky Barnes—better known to most as the Winter Soldier—in the role after Rogers’ presumed death in the high-profile “Death of Captain America” storyline by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting and Mike Perkins.
As to the identity of the new Captain America, neither Remender nor Marvel are spilling those particular beans just yet. However, preview art for the Avengers storyline “Time Runs Out,” which launches in September and takes place eight months ahead of the rest of the Marvel line not only features an older Steve Rogers, but also another character—presumed by many fans to be Sam Wilson, AKA the Falcon—holding the iconic shield.
In the past, Marvel has retconned Captain America’s origin to include a “prototype” super soldier called Isaiah Bradley, but if Wilson takes on the role, are we finally about to see the first official black Captain America in the concept’s 70+ year history?
Captain America No. 25 will be released digitally and in comic book stores this October.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet