Marvel's 'Avengers' Gets Major Labor Day Expansion
The third-biggest movie of all time will play in 1,700 theaters over the long holiday weekend; Disney also is aggressively expanding "Brave."
Disney and Marvel Studios' The Avengers is getting a one-week expanded push in theaters during Labor Day weekend.
Avengers is the third-highest-grossing movie of all time, both domestically and worldwide. Joss Whedon's superhero pic has earned $617.8 million in North America and $1.5 billion globally.
Disney is hoping to boost the movie's earnings even more by taking advantage of the long holiday weekend. As of Friday, Avengers will be playing in 1,700 theaters. The film had been all but done with its theatrical run, playing in only 123 locations last weekend.
The movie is about $40 million away from passing James Cameron’s Titanic to become to No. 2 highest-grossing movie domestically.
Avengers' last-minute push comes ahead of the movie’s big Blu-ray/DVD release on Sept 25.
Disney also is giving Pixar’s Brave the expansion treatment, increasing the family pic's domestic theater count from 452 to 1,700. The 3D toon has grossed $230.3 million domestically and $212.3 million internationally.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!