Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Comic Spinoffs Sell Out Immediately
First issues of both "Rocket Raccoon" and "The Legendary Star-Lord" will return to print later this month, publisher announces after first-day sellout at the distributor level.
How successful will Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy be? We won’t know for sure until Aug. 1, but one thing is clear already: It’s paying off for Marvel Studios’ publishing sibling. Marvel Entertainment announced Wednesday that the first issues of both Rocket Raccoon and The Legendary Star-Lord will be returning to press after selling out in less than 24 hours.
There is, of course, some clarification necessary. “Selling out,” in this case, actually means that the titles are no longer available on the distribution level; in that both issues were only released in comic book stores Wednesday, copies are undoubtedly still available for customers.
Additionally, it’s unclear how many copies of either title were initially printed. Traditionally, Marvel has tended to be conservative with over printings, preferring to print only a small number beyond those ordered by retailers (i.e., “sold”) in case replacements are needed for misprints, copies damaged during shipping and other similar events. This isn’t always the case; the publisher has been known to significantly overprint — and, in some cases, overship, providing “free” copies to retailers over and above those ordered — on titles it has put a particular push behind.
In the case of Rocket Raccoon, Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso has confirmed that the first issue received more than 300,000 orders, making it the second-most-popular release of 2014 to date, behind Marvel’s Amazing Spider-Man No. 1. (Order amounts for The Legendary Star-Lord remain unknown.)
Second printings of both titles will reach comic book stores later this month, according to the publisher.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- See the Visually Striking Trailer for Young Ones, With Michael Shannon and Elle Fanning
- The Feminist Horror Author You Need to Read Immediately
- ‘Age Has No Expiration Date’ Is the New ‘Blurred Lines,’ Says Pharrell in New Music Video
- Zoe Saldana Understands Why You Would Mistake Her for Other Black Actresses
- Lea Michele & Boyfriend Matthew Paetz Hit the Big Apple After Italian Getaway
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic Scores First Number 1 Album in 30 Year Career, MAGIC!'s 'Rude' Remains Number 1 Song
- Jake Gyllenhaal Enters World of Crime Reporting in First 'Nightcrawler' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Almost Quit Acting After Her Role in 'Pirates of the Caribbean': 'It Was Very Elitist'