What If Michael Haneke Directed 'Star Wars'? 'Amour'-Style Parody Envisions the Sad Story (Video)
At the Cesar Awards -- the French equivalent of the Oscars -- a satirically dreary mash-up of Haneke's award-winning film and the sci-fi franchise brought major laughs.
Sometimes, despite however much talent and acclaim a director has earned, they're just not the right fit for a certain film.
Take Michael Haneke, for instance. He's a legendary auteur, won an Oscar this year for his film Amour and has created a reputation for his unforgiving and unsentimental films. Which is why the thought of him directing a big budget sci-fi effort like Star Wars is an automatic punchline.
For the recent Cesar Awards, the French academy put together a taste of what a Haneke-directed Jedi adventure would look like. Calling back to Amour, a dying and senile Darth Vader is driving his caring son, elderly sad sack Luke Skywalker, absolutely nuts. Even more depressing is Princess Leia; she certainly has seen better days.
Health & Hollywood
Follow Heat Vision
- Bill Hader Thinks Recent 'SNL' Fan-Voted Bracket Needed More Women
- Grover And Abby Cadabby From 'Sesame Street' Really Love Michelle Obama's Hugs
- Toddler Takes The Lead In Choreographing Interpretive Dance For Adults
- Alison Bechdel Awarded MacArthur Fellowship: 'Fun Home' Creator One Of 21 New Fellows
- Adam Arkin on The Bridge, Directing Himself, and Getting Mistaken for George Clooney
- Get a Glimpse of the Hannibal Writers’ Room in This Clip From the Season 2 DVD
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- An In Depth Joan Rivers Biography is In the Works
- Taylor Schilling & 'OITNB' Cast Brighten Up the Red Carpet at Netflix Launch in Berlin!
- Avril Lavigne & Chad Kroeger's Relationship Reportedly in Trouble: 'They've Been Fighting A Lot'
- Ellen Page Wears Nearly Nothing & Flashes Her Amazing Abs for W's New Royals Issue