What If Michael Haneke Directed 'Star Wars'? 'Amour'-Style Parody Envisions the Sad Story (Video)
At the Cesar Awards -- the French equivalent of the Oscars -- a satirically dreary mash-up of Haneke's award-winning film and the sci-fi franchise brought major laughs.
Sometimes, despite however much talent and acclaim a director has earned, they're just not the right fit for a certain film.
Take Michael Haneke, for instance. He's a legendary auteur, won an Oscar this year for his film Amour and has created a reputation for his unforgiving and unsentimental films. Which is why the thought of him directing a big budget sci-fi effort like Star Wars is an automatic punchline.
For the recent Cesar Awards, the French academy put together a taste of what a Haneke-directed Jedi adventure would look like. Calling back to Amour, a dying and senile Darth Vader is driving his caring son, elderly sad sack Luke Skywalker, absolutely nuts. Even more depressing is Princess Leia; she certainly has seen better days.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!