Filmmaker Mick Garris Entering Sci-Fi Territory With 'Invasion'
The writer-director described the project as "The Outer Limits" meets "Mad Men."
Invasion, a title selling in Cannes by Little Studio Films, represents a change of pace of director Mick Garris, who made his name in the horror field and helming Stephen King adaptations.
In the 1990s, Garris directed the King-written Sleepwalkers and the high-profile TV mini-series translations of King works The Stand and The Shining. And in recent years he created the horror anthology series Masters of Horror and Fear Itself.
But the writer-director is now making his first foray into science fiction. Even more interestingly, period science fiction.
“It’s a bit of different direction for me,” he admits to Heat Vision, “but it’s great because I get to make a period movie but with a modern sensibility.”
Garris described Invasion as The Outer Limits meets Mad Men, a time of “men in ties and hats and when you thought you could trust the government.”
The script, by A.J. Ferrara, centers on a woman reporter trying to show a male-centric newsroom that she is more than just “boobs and a skirt,” in Garris’ words. In trying to step out of the style pages she’s been relegated to she uncover the truth behind an alien invasion.
Priority No. 1 is Garris snagging a female lead, with production hiring Ferne Casell (Taken, Monster) as its casting director.
Garris is looking forward to injecting a cynical feeling into that more innocent time and says that despite the dose of fantasy and imagination, the script is well-researched and filled with events that were well-documented.
Garris hasn’t abandoned his horror roots. As he raises financing for Invasion, he is working on creating another anthology series, this time with an international flavor.
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- The Fantastic Four Movie Seems Really Good All of a Sudden
- Vacation’s Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo to Reunite for a Pilot With a Very Silly Name
- Frozen Duo Writing a Song for Neil Patrick Harris to Sing at the Oscars
- Sundance: Watch Robert Redford and Nick Nolte Get Ready to Hike in A Walk in the Woods
- Behati Prinsloo, Karlie Kloss & the Angels Star in Victoria's Secret Super Bowl 2015 Commercial - Watch Now!
- Mandy Moore Hinted at the Ryan Adams Split Before News Broke
- Tom Cruise Allegedly Wiretapped Nicole Kidman's Phone & More Revelations From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- Former Hollywood Executive Cindra Ladd Accuses Bill Cosby of Rape in Powerful Essay