Mondo Launches First-Ever MondoCon
The two-day September event will feature guests including "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola and British artist Jock, best known for his work on DC Comics' "The Losers."
Mondo Gallery hinted it was going to expand the scope of its mission in January, as the Austin, Tex.-based company behind limited-edition movie posters, remastered vinyl movie soundtracks and VHS reissues announced that it would launch its inaugural celebration of the artists behind its products.
On Monday, that vision became a reality as Mondo announced the dates for “MondoCon” and released its initial guest list.
The event will span two days -- Sept. 20 and 21 -- and coincide with the first weekend of Fantastic Fest, “the largest genre film festival in the U.S., specializing in horror, fantasy, sci-fi, action and just plain fantastic movies from all around the world,” according to the Fanatic Fest website.
Mondo’s creative director, Justin Ishmael, explained in a tweet Monday morning that the overlap was no coincidence: “It was super important to us that the weekend of @MondoConAustin was on @fanaticfest weekend,” he wrote. “Fans unite type of thing, I guess.”
The goal of the festival is parallel to that of Fanatic Fest, but explores creative media beyond film alone.
“The convention will bring together unique guests from a variety of areas to celebrate film, music, art and toys with the world’s finest artists, designers, illustrators, painters, toy creators as well as directors, composers and more,” Mondo stated in a release Monday.
The first round of guests will include numerous celebrated illustrators, like Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine cover artist Basil Gogos and New York Times best-selling British artist Jock, best known for his work on DC Comics’ The Losers.
Mondo also teased it would release a new kind of movie memorabilia in a tweet May 22, which featured a poster of 1999’s animated sci-fi/adventure film The Iron Giant and the caption “Batteries included.”
Tickets for MondoCon will go on sale Wednesday on the group’s website, Mondo-Con.com. Single day tickets are $35, full weekend tickets are $70. Additionally, a full weekend ticket is included for customers with Fanatic Fest VIP badges.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Zoe Saldana Understands Why You Would Mistake Her for Other Black Actresses
- You Simply Must Watch Robin Thicke’s Ridiculous Movie Debut
- Orange Is the New Black’s Danielle Brooks on Lies, Laughing, and Taystee-Poussey Shippers
- Dear Hollywood: Stop Using Frank Miller’s Batman Stories As Source Material