MTV Movie Awards: 5 Reasons to Tune in Sunday Night
Jason Sudeikis hosts the awards ceremony, airing Sunday night.
With the MTV Movie Awards just around the corner, here are some reasons to watch Sunday night’s telecast:
1) A first look at the final Harry Potter film: Star Emma Watson is scheduled to present a sneak peek from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, slated for a July 15 release. Will it be a scene? Will it be a montage of what Harry, Hermione and Ron have in store for them? Your guess is as good as ours.
2) J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg hype Super 8: The director-producer pair are set to take the stage — along with stars Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney -- during the awards ceremony to release an exclusive first look at their mysterious passion project, Super 8, also featuring Friday Night Lights’ Kyle Chandler. With Super 8 set to be released in theaters less than a week (June 10) after the MTV Movie Awards, will sneak peek pique viewers’ interests enough?
In the vein of Terrence Malick’s enigmatic Tree of Life, which was a mystery to audiences and critics until it premiered, one really knows the details of the Abrams-directed vehicle. Here is the synopsis of Super 8: Set in the summer of 1979, the film “follows a group of friends in a small Ohio town who witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super-8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local deputy tries to uncover the truth – something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined.”
3) Sinking your teeth into more True Blood: Though there was no official announcement that HBO’s summer staple would be debuting a new trailer during the awards ceremony, Entertainment Weekly got their hands on the sexy 30-second teaser. The pay cabler has always been good about its roll-outs for True Blood, which returns for Season 4 on Sunday, June 26 at 9 p.m. -- and with less than a month left until it’s back, makes perfect sense.
4) Twilight gang ramps up final Breaking Dawn films: Earlier this week, MTV released a 15-second teaser for the actual sneak peek at the anticipated film, to be presented during the MTV Movie Awards by stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner. And the brief snippets of the wedding were enough to whet the appetite of the Twilight universe. But here comes word that there may be another special first look, which will be rolled out during the red carpet pre-show.
The first film, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1, directed by Bill Condon, is set to be released Nov. 18. The final Twilight film is scheduled for release next year.
5) Will Twilight's Kristen Stewart go three-for-three or will Harry Potter trump Eclipse?: It's no secret the MTV Movie Awards crowd loves their Twilight -- and Stewart has won the top female actress prize two years going. So will she go three-for-three? Some stiff competition this time around, with Emma Watson, Emma Stone, Jennifer Aniston and Natalie Portman all vying for the golden popcorn award.
The Twilight films have also dominated the top prize, winning both years they have been nominated, but will Harry finally prove triumphant?
Jason Sudeikis hosts the MTV Movie Awards, airing Sunday at 9 p.m. on MTV.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)