Neill Blomkamp's 'Elysium' Has a Release Date
Sony will release Neill Blomkamp’s high-profile Elysium on March 8, 2013, in time to take advantage of spring break and the Easter holiday.
Word of the release date comes as Sony rounds out of the cast of the sci-fi project, which Media Rights Capital is making.
Brazilian actor Wagner Moura is the latest addition. He’ll star opposite Matt Damon, Sharlto Copley and Jodie Foster and will be playing the villain. The plot is being kept under wraps, although the setting is a future world. Social class figures into this world, and Damon's character is an ex-con.
So far, Elyisum has the March 8-10 weekend to itself. Easter Sunday falls three weeks later on March 31.
In 2007, when Easter also fell at the end of March, Zach Snyder’s 300 bowed on the same weekend that Elysium has targeted. 300 had great legs, helped by spring break.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum