New Regency Picks Up Action Project 'Empire' From 'Source Code' Writer, Producer (Exclusive)
The writer and producer behind the sci-fi action movie Source Code have teamed up for a new action project.
New Regency has picked up Empire, a spec script by Ben Ripley with Mark Gordon attached to produce the action thriller via his banner, The Mark Gordon Company.
The banner’s Drew Simon will serve in a producer capacity.
The logline for Empire is being kept under wraps, but it is described as being in the style of Safe House and The Usual Suspects.
Source Code starred Jake Gyllenhaal and grossed more than $147 million worldwide when it was released in spring 2011.
The pickup of Empire follows a successful TV order season for the Mark Gordon Co., which sold 12 projects recently; the Grey’s Anatomy producer has four shows on the air and two slated for next year.
On the feature side, Gordon is a producing an adaptation of the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical Memphis and is part of the team that is developing a Steve Jobs biopic based on Walter Isaacson's biography.
Ripley wrote a draft of the Flatliners remake at Columbia and has space project 7th Day in active development at the Dino De Laurentiis Company.
He is repped by Gersh and Mosaic.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack