Nicolas Cage's Superman Comic Film the Latest in Star's Long Super Hero Career
A movie about his comic book collection is the logical next step for the Oscar winner.
He won't feature in this summer's blockbusters The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises, but Nicolas Cage is still one of Hollywood's top super hero enthusiasts.
As first revealed by The Hollywood Reporter, the story of the theft of the Oscar winner's Action Comics No. 1 -- the first ever Superman comic -- is being developed into a movie written by Reno 911! creators Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon. The book was stolen in 2000, recovered in 2011 and sold for $2.16 million in November.
Cage was an avid comic collector, having splashed millions for vintage books early last decade, and even wrote his own series, the New Orleans set, six-issue Voodoo Child.
On the big screen, Cage has played -- and nearly played -- a whole host of super heroes. Already this year, he has taken his second turn as Johnny Blaze in Marvel's Ghost Rider -- his first came in the 2007 film, and in 2010 he starred as Big Daddy in the big screen adaptation of the comic book Kick-Ass. He's worked with Disney on The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which, while not a comic book adaptation, saw him play with magic and heroism all the same.
In the late 1990s, he was attached to play a radically re-invented Man of Steel in Tim Burton's Superman Lives; screen and costume tests, which leaked on to the internet in 2009, reveal a much different vision of the classic hero. The film fell apart thanks to script and budget issues, denying Cage his opportunity to play the icon.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!