Nike Expected to Announce 'Back to the Future'-Style Self-Lacing Sneakers Thursday (Video)
The Nike Air Mags are designed to function like the shoes Michael J. Fox wore in “Back to the Future Part II” in 1989.
The future as predicted in Back to the Future Part II is coming a tiny step closer to reality as Nike is expected to announce that they're releasing self-lacing Air Mag sneakers, as worn by Michael J. Fox in the 1989 movie.
Back to the Future executive producer Frank Marshall hinted at the announcement on Twitter on Wednesday, writing, "Something big is coming soon. Can't say anything yet. No one should know too much about their own destiny. #BTTF"
Then Nike sent out invitations to a press conference on Thursday. According to the shoe news site NiceKicks the invitation arrived along with a box of '80s candy, a bottle of Pepsi circa 1985, a DVD of Back to the Future and some silver wraparound shades as worn by Doc Brown in the movie.
Additionally, a teaser video was posted on YouTube titled McFly's Closet and showing rows upon rows of the shoes. Nike had registered a patent for automatically lacing shoes last year.
The introduction of the sneakers will mean reality has beat fantasy by a good four years -- Back to the Future Part II took place in 2015. No word on any Hoverboard or self-drying jacket announcements, sadly.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Jesse Metcalfe Has Fun Playing 'Romantic Hero' on 'Dallas'
- Jena Malone Serenades Us For The Shoe's 'I'm Okay' Album - Listen Now!
- Ian Somerhalder Reunites with Maggie Grace & 'Lost' Cast at PaleyFest 2014!
- Dwyane Wade Helps Hold Up Fiance Gabrielle Union's Gown While Attending 'Call of the Game' Dinner