No Loki in 'Avengers 2,' Joss Whedon Says
UPDATED: The director indicated that last year's villain won't be reprising his role in the sequel.
While rumors are still swirling about who will be suiting up for the sequel to last summer's Marvel blockbuster The Avengers, director Joss Whedon suggested that villain Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, won't be back.
"Everyone is going to be looking for the Loki-Hulk smash moment, and you'll be looking for [a quim moment]," Whedon told Empire, referring to a controversial phrase Loki said to Black Widow in The Avengers. "First of all, imitating what I did before is the surest way to do it not as well. Second of all, Loki's not there to say those terrible things. Although I do think we should bring the word back -- not as an insult, it's just a nice word."
Whedon's comments, delivered in a podcast about his current Shakespeare adaptation, Much Ado About Nothing, suggest that Hiddleston's character won't have a major role in the Avengers sequel, set for release in May 2015.
However, Loki will appear in the Thor sequel The Dark World, set for release on Nov. 8.
Whedon previously said that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will be joining the Avengers team.
The first Avengers film made $1.52 billion worldwide.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting