Noomi Rapace to Star in Indie Sci-Fi Drama 'What Happened to Monday?'
Tommy Wirkola, the director of "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters," is helming the project.
Noomi Rapace has signed on to star in What Happened to Monday? an indie sci-fi drama from Tommy Wirkola, the writer-director of Dead Snow and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.
Following a script by Max Botkin, Monday will see Rapace play the multiple roles of septuplet sisters who struggle to stay hidden in an overpopulated world were a one-child policy outlaws siblings. The seven must overcome their own differences and avoid government execution in order to solve the disappearance of one of their own.
Raffaella De Laurentiis is producing through Raffaella Productions, along with Vendome’s Philippe Rousselet. Vendome, the company that financed and produced the Jake Gyllenhaal thriller Source Code, is also financing the film.
The lead was originally written for a male actor but was rewritten when Rapace met with Wirkola.
"Although the role was originally written for a male, I was struck by the complexities of having an actor portray seven characters and immediately knew Noomi was the ideal actor -- male or female -- to bring them to life," said Wirkola in a statement.
Rapace will next be seen starring in the police thriller Child 44 as well as Animal Rescue, both opposite Tom Hardy. Wirkola is in post on the sequel to Dead Snow, Dead Snow: Red vs. Dead.
Rapace is repped by CAA, Shelley Browning at Magnolia Entertainment and attorney Howard Fishman.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'