NY Comic-Con: 'Hitman' Producer and 'Trollhunter' Director Tackle 'Enormous' Adaptation (Exclusive)
Producer Adrian Askarieh and Andre Ovredal plan to produce and direct, respectively, transmedia's adaptation of the monster apocalyptic comic.
Producer Adrian Askarieh and Andre Ovredal, the Norwegian director of Trollhunter, are teaming up to tackle a transmedia adaptation of Enormous, a monster apocalyptic comic published by Image.
Created and written by Tim Daniel and drawn by Mehdi Cheggour, Enormous tells of how humanity is plunged down the food chain when an ecological event creates gargantuan beasts that decimate civilization.
The graphic novel was published by Image earlier this year and centered around a woman who tries to collect and save lost children.
Enormous is moving to a new publisher, 21 Ink Publishing, which is expected to announce at this week’s New York Comic-Con an 18-book series to begin releasing in 2013.
Askarieh and Ovredal plan on creating a high-end digital Web series, a TV show and a feature film in a bid to tell the enormous Enormous story and explore how humans react and cope with survival from multiple points of views and from multiple settings around the planet.
The duo are hoping to create something in tone of Cloverfield and The Walking Dead, focusing on strong characters and complicated relationships with the monsters as the background.
Ovredal will direct the productions, while Askarieh produces via his Prime Universe banner. Prime universe's Scott Kinney will serve as co-producer on all projects.
Ovredal is primed to realize such a vision. The filmmaker wrote and directed Trollhunter, his feature debut about a student film crew that follows a man initially believed to be a bear poacher but turns out to be a government employee working for a secret troll management department.
Made for under $1 million, it showcased Ovredal’s aptitude for creating giant trolls lumbering through the Scandinavian forests and hinterlands.
Askarieh produced Hitman and is developing a follow-up, which is on the fast-track at Fox International. He has the adaptation of video game Deux Ex set up with Roy Lee at CBS Films.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10