NYCC: Dynamite to Revive 'Magnus,' 'Solar,' 'Turok' and 'Dr. Spektor'
Big-name creators such as Mark Waid and Greg Pak will write the new adventures of the fan-favorite characters, starting in 2014.
After a week of big announcements timed around New York Comic Con, Dynamite Entertainment today revealed that it has partnered with DreamWorks Classics to relaunch some Gold Key Comics favorites. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter; Solar: Man of the Atom; Magnus: Robot Fighter; and Doctor Spektor will appear in a new line of comics next year.
The comics will be written by some well-known names. Batman/Superman and Action Comics' Greg Pak will take on Turok. Frank Barbiere -- a newcomer known for his critically acclaimed Image Comics series Five Ghosts -- will write Solar. G.I. Joe's Fred Van Lente will handle Magnus. And Mark Waid -- who has written almost all of DC and Marvel's major characters at some point in his career -- will revive Doctor Spektor.
The commercial peak for the Gold Key characters was likely their 1990s revival by Valiant Comics, although they also enjoyed a more recent run from Dark Horse Comics headlined by former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. Dynamite's CEO and publisher, Nick Barrucci, said that "longtime fans can rest assured -- their beloved heroes are in capable hands," describing the writing collective as a "dream team of creators."
The new line is set to launch in February 2014 and will be available digitally and in comic book stores.
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Supreme Court: No Girls Allowed' Perfectly Parodies The Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Colbert Mocks Kim Kardashian's New Video Game, Introduces One Of His Own
- On 'The Bachelorette' Finale, We Learned That Sex Happens -- Even On Reality TV
- Micah McCain Dishes Up Bette Midler In 'Beaches' In Just Under 4 Minutes
- Dianna Agron Rocks Really High Hair for 'Headlock' Filming
- Benedict Cumberbatch Think His Evil Character Kahn Could Come Back for 'Star Trek 3'!
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana & Chris Pratt Strike the Sassiest Pose Ever at New York Stock Exchange!
- Colton Haynes is a Sexy Leather Stud for New Diesel by Nicola Formichetti Campaign