Online Petition for New 'Doctor Who' Spinoff Tops 9,000 Names
Thousands of fans have signed an online petition asking for a new "Doctor Who" spinoff featuring the unseen adventures of the eighth incarnation of the character.
When the BBC debuted "The Night of the Doctor" online last week, it did more than simply act as a prologue to this weekend's upcoming Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special; it provided fans who had been waiting almost two decades for a second onscreen appearance of Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor a chance to see their hero in action. One more glimpse, however, was not enough for them -- and now they're asking for more.
As of the time of writing, over 9,000 people have signed a Change.org petition asking current Who showrunner Steven Moffat to create a new television series featuring McGann as the Eighth Doctor, taking place prior to the 2005 revival of the franchise.
"Although we do possess a vast number of Big Finish Audio-Dramas and books, it would be a shame to never see McGann as the Time Lord onscreen again," Theodore Stone, who started the petition, explained. "Even a web series would suffice! This will probably never happen, but you never know unless you try!"
With the exception of the "Night" short, McGann's only onscreen appearance as the character had been in the 1996 pilot for an American incarnation of the series, produced for Fox. Once 10,000 signatures have been collected, the petition will be sent to the BBC.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR