'Pacific Rim': Idris Elba Joins Guillermo del Toro Project
The sci-fi project stars Charlie Hunnam.
Idris Elba, who played the mighty Norse god Heimdall in Thor, has joined Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim.
The script, by Travis Beacham, follows a group of humans who defend the planet from an extraterrestrial force via the use of mechas (piloted robots).
Charlie Hunnam was the first actor cast in the production. While character details are being kept secret, Elba will be playing the human Sensei.
Del Toro is scouting locations in Toronto in preparation for a fall shoot.
Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing.
Elba was one of the names that surfaced in connection to the starring role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained but the actor is no longer in the running for the part; this Rim casting solidifies it. Elba's other credits include the BBC's Luther and The Wire.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR