'Pacific Rim' Trailer Boasts Monsters, Robots and Fiery Oratory (Video)
Guillermo del Toro’s sci-fi tentpole hits theaters July 12, 2013.
The first trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim has hit online, and it’s big enough to be worthy of its larger-than-life subject matter.
The futuristic film centers on a threatened human race fighting giant monsters (Kaijus) using large robots (Jaegers). The trailer reveals that the monsters are actually aliens which emerged from an inter-dimensional portal deep within the Pacific Ocean.
There’s plenty of action shots, but giant monsters and robots aside, Idris Elba’s character, General Stacker Pentecost, gives a speech that may rival Bill Pullman's Independence Day oration.
“Today, at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen to believe in each other,” he says. “Today we face the monsters that are at our door. Today we are canceling the apocalypse.”
Travis Beacham, who wrote the initial treatment for Pacific Rim as a spec script, has been tapped to write a sequel, with del Toro also on board to co-write the script, though it’s unclear if he will direct.
The film from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures also stars Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunnam, Ron Perlman and Charlie Day. It hits theaters in 2D and 3D on July 12, 2013.
Follow Heat Vision
- Do I Really Need to Watch Empire? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- The New Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer Finally Shows Paul Bettany’s Vision
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Recap: Trippin’ in Amsterdam
- Self/less Trailer: Imagine You Looked Like Ben Kingsley But Then Got to Look Like Ryan Reynolds
- Daniel von Bargen Dead - 'Seinfeld' Actor Dies at 64 From Undisclosed Illness
- Courteney Cox Calls Ed Sheeran 'Amazing' For BRIT Awards 2015 Performance
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Final Trailer Released - Watch Now!
- Scott Eastwood Goes Shirtless, Spoofs the 'Bachelor' in 'Bachelor for Dogs' Video - Watch Now!