'Pacific Rim' Trailer Boasts Monsters, Robots and Fiery Oratory (Video)
Guillermo del Toro’s sci-fi tentpole hits theaters July 12, 2013.
The first trailer for Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim has hit online, and it’s big enough to be worthy of its larger-than-life subject matter.
The futuristic film centers on a threatened human race fighting giant monsters (Kaijus) using large robots (Jaegers). The trailer reveals that the monsters are actually aliens which emerged from an inter-dimensional portal deep within the Pacific Ocean.
There’s plenty of action shots, but giant monsters and robots aside, Idris Elba’s character, General Stacker Pentecost, gives a speech that may rival Bill Pullman's Independence Day oration.
“Today, at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen to believe in each other,” he says. “Today we face the monsters that are at our door. Today we are canceling the apocalypse.”
Travis Beacham, who wrote the initial treatment for Pacific Rim as a spec script, has been tapped to write a sequel, with del Toro also on board to co-write the script, though it’s unclear if he will direct.
The film from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures also stars Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Hunnam, Ron Perlman and Charlie Day. It hits theaters in 2D and 3D on July 12, 2013.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR