Paramount Acquires Hot Spec 'Hyperdrive'
Mary Parent is set to produce the sci-fi film.
Paramount has acquired sci-fi spec script Hyperdrive, which had drawn strong interest from several studios this week. Mary Parent will produce via her Disruption Entertainment shingle.
Written by Morgan Jurgenson and David Daniels, Hyperdrive is the story of a tough cop who recruits a geeky sci-fi author to help him track down a mysterious murder witness. While on their search, they find themselves in the middle of a space opera playing out on Earth.
[UPDATE: David Daniels is a pseudonym used by Alex Ankeles, vp of production at Panay Films, which is based at Disney.]
The project has been described as a cross between The Fifth Element and 48 Hrs.
Jurgenson, who is represented by APA, co-wrote the indie horror-comedy Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, which generated strong buzz at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival and was acquired by Magnet Releasing in August and released Sept. 30.
Hyperdrive will be shepherded by Cale Boyter, who works alongside Parent at Disruption. Boyter brought the project to Elizabeth Raposo, vp of production at Paramount.
Jurgenson has been busy as of late: he is developing a pilot with Thruline Entertainment and a Tucker and Dale sequel is being discussed. He is also represented by Hung Entertainment Group.
Ankeles is represented by CAA and Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR