'Power Rangers' Movie Enlists 'X-Men' Writers (Exclusive)
Additionally, Roberto Orci is joining the film as an executive producer and will develop the story with Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz.
The Power Rangers have found their creative team.
The upcoming movie being developed by Lionsgate and rights holder Saban Brands will be scripted by X-Men: First Class writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz.
Additionally, Roberto Orci, one of the screenwriters behind the Transformers and Star Trek movies, is coming on board as an exec producer.
Orci who recently split with screenwriting partner Alex Kurtzman, has formed a new venture, Sneaky Shark.
Orci will develop the movie’s story along with Miller and Stentz, with the latter two handling screenwriting duties.
Power Rangers was a '90s TV series and global marketing franchise, initially called The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, that used footage from a Japanese children’s show. It first aired on Fox Kids then in the 2000s on Disney-owned channels. A movie also hit theaters in 1995.
The new movie promises to completely re-envision the Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique superpowers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world.
Haim Saban, who created the franchise, will produce Power Rangers with Saban Brands’ head of development and production Brian Casentini. Also producing is Allison Shearmur, who oversaw The Hunger Games when she was Lionsgate’s president of production and recently produced Disney's Cinderella.
In addition to First Class, Miller and Stentz have screenwriting credit on Marvel’s Thor and are working on a Terminator TV series. They worked with Orci on Fringe, the cult TV show he created with Kurtzman.
In addition to three Transformers movies and two Trek films, Orci’s writing credits include Mission: Impossible III, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Cowboys & Aliens, among several others.
Orci is repped by CAA, Miller and Stentz by WME and Principato Young Entertainment.
Lionsgate Motion Picture Group co-president Erik Feig and executive vp production and development Jim Miller are overseeing Rangers.
Sundance: On the Scene
Follow Heat Vision
- Rod McKuen, Oscar-Nominated Songwriter And Bestselling Poet, Dead At 81
- Marshawn Lynch Playing Rob Gronkowski In 'Mortal Kombat' Puts The Super Bowl To Shame
- The Soundtrack Of My Life: Chatting with Donny Osmond, Melissa Manchester, Louise Goffin, Meitel and Rumer
- Saying Goodbye To 'Parenthood' Is The Biggest Tear-Jerker Of All
- Kim & Khloe Kardashian Sing Their Hearts Out at Sam Smith Concert with Kendall Jenner & Cara Delevingne
- Iggy Azalea Calls Steve Madden Photo Shoot 'Disgusting'
- Harry Connick Jr. Hilariously Belts Out Sia's 'Chandelier' on 'American Idol' - Watch Now!
- Kristin Chenoweth Steps Out for 'On The Twentieth Century' Photo Call with Peter Gallagher