'Prometheus' Ad Touts Michael Fassbender as Weyland Industries Robot David (Video)
Ridley Scott's long-awaited "Aliens" prequel ramps up its viral campaign with a faux-ad for the synthetic human played by the Irish star.
In his breakout 2011, Michael Fassbender made a specialty out of playing emotionally distant men (and mutant) in films such as Shame and X-Men: First Class, so playing a full-on robot was the obvious next step. Enter: Prometheus.
In Ridley Scott's upcoming film, the Golden Globe-nominee features as David, a synthetic human from the Weyland Institute who can talk, behave and even emote like a real person, but with a robotic anatomy that is clear of any of those pesky heartstrings that get in the way of pure, cold efficiency during the difficult or distressing jobs that are regularly required in the dystopian future.
His features are highlighted in the latest promotional video for the film, which is one of the most anticipated big screen blockbusters of the summer -- if Scott has plans to differentiate his flick from all the others.
"We're almost action-filmed out, almost science fiction-filmed out," Scott told an audience at WonderCon last month. "So the baseline question is: how original are you going to be?"
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical