Quentin Tarantino's New Movie Sets Title, Begins Casting
The director hopes to begin shooting this summer, according to insiders.
Quentin Tarantino is gearing up for another ride in the saddle.
For his first movie since 2012's Django Unchained, the director is going back to the Western genre with a script called The Hateful Eight, which he hopes to direct this summer, according to sources. (Another source said there is no timetable at this stage.)
The title suggests Tarantino could be upping the ante, playing off the title of John Sturges' 1960 film The Magnificent Seven, which in turn was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 Seven Samurai.
No one has been cast yet, but Tarantino has reached out to veteran casting director Victoria Thomas, who worked on Django, to work with him on casting the movie, say several insiders. A part has been written for Christoph Waltz, who starred in Tarantino's Django and Inglourious Basterds.
Pilar Savone, who served as a producer on Django and acted as an associate producer on Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds and Death Proof after being his assistant, is producing Hateful Eight.
It’s unclear who is financing and who will distribute, although The Weinstein Co. is the most likely candidate to be involved in both capacities, due to its long-standing relationship with the filmmaker.
In November, Tarantino revealed that he was working on a new script and that it would be a Western. But he didn’t reveal a title or suggest a timetable for making it. Tarantino has in the past mentioned projects he was working on but ended up shelving them. Basterds famously took a decade to hit the screen as he worked and reworked the script.
"I had so much fun doing Django, and I love Westerns so much that after I taught myself how to make one, it's like 'OK! Let me make another one now that I know what I'm doing,' " Tarantino told Jay Leno in November when he appeared on The Tonight Show.
Tarantino has long loved the Western genre and in the post-Pulp Fiction era in the mid- to late 1990s tried to adapt Elmore Leonard’s Forty Lashes Less One, about two prisoners, an Apache and a black soldier, who must hunt down five outlaws to earn their freedom.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak
- Rosario Dawson, Luke Evans, & Ashley Madekwe Support amfAR's Important Cause in Milan
- Leonardo DiCaprio Awarded at Global Citizen Awards, Raps 'Scenario' Alongside Jamie Foxx - Watch the Amazing Video!