Rare 'Avengers', 'X-Men' First Issues Sell For Record Prices
A near-pristine copy of 1963's "X-Men" no. 1 went for over $492,000 while "Avengers" no. 1 sold for $274,850.
The first issue of both Avengers and X-Men fetched record prices at a highly anticpated auction of high-grade Silver Age comics held by Heritage Auctions on July 26.
X-Men no. 1 from 1963 sold for $492,937.50. It is one of two of finest surviving copies in existence, scoring a CGC grade of 9.8 (out of 10) on the what has became the default scale for assessing the quality of an individual book.
The price more than doubles the previous record of $200,00. X-Men no. 1 now ranks as the second most valuable Silver Age Marvel comic after the first appearance of Spider-Man in Amazing Fantasy no. 15.
Avengers no. 1 sold for $274,850, slightly surpassing the previous record of $250,00. This copy had a grade of 9.6, making it one of the three highest-graded copies known to exist.
The auction continues a record run for collectible comics that has seen prices accelarate. In November Nic Cage's copy of Action Comics no. 1 sold for a record $2.1 million. Earlier this year a copy of Iron Man's first appearance sold for $375,000.
Silver Age Marvels, in particular, have benefitted from the rising prices. In the last two years, the first appearances of the X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Iron Man, Thor and the modern Captain America have all sold for record prices.
See the X-Men and Avengers comics below.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
Follow Heat Vision
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Anne Hathaway Does Tai Chi with Robert De Niro Again!
- Emma Watson Gives a Powerful Speech About Gender Equality - Watch the Video & Read Full Transcipt Here
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak