Real-Life Teen Activist Named as Inspiration for New DC Superhero
Writer Jeff Lemire reveals that Shannen Koostachin, who campaigned for a new school in her area at the age of 13 before dying in a car accident two years later, inspired new Justice League member.
News about next year's Justice League Canada project from DC has been thin on the ground since the project was first announced a couple of months ago, but now writer Jeff Lemire has opened up about one of the new characters he'll be introducing in the series -- who will be the product of Canadian teenagers in more ways than one.
Lemire told CBC News that Shannen Koostachin, a teenager who launched an online campaign for a new school in Attawapiskat First Nation on the James Bay Coast in 2008 at the age of 13, was the inspiration for a character who'll appear in next year's Justice League spin-off.
"I think if I can capture some of that heart and some of that essence in this character, perhaps she'll almost be a guiding spirit in the creation of this character," he said, adding that the character would also be a teen girl from the Cree group of Native Americans in James Bay, like Koostachin, who died in a car accident in 2010. "There would be the cultural strengths [to the character],” Lemire explained. “The family ties, the knowledge of the land, the rich, rich symbolism of the Cree on James Bay."
The creation of the character won't just be Lemire's work alone: he's also planning a contest in which students will get to suggest the character's super powers.
Justice League Canada will launch in Spring 2014.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!