Report: Fox Planning 'Fantastic Four vs. X-Men' Movie (Update)
Is Fox planning to use a 26-year-old comic book to bring its two Marvel franchises together?
With Fox working on revitalizing the Fantastic Four movie franchise -- director Josh Trank's reboot is scheduled for a summer 2015 release -- it's been rumored in the past that the studio hopes to bring the Marvel Comics property together with its X-Men franchise for its own self-contained Marvel Cinematic Universe. A new report from an unlikely source suggests that plans are further along than it may have seemed to ensure that outcome.
According to the first version of a Motley Fool report on outside movie studios taking advantage of Marvel Studios' success, Fox is adapting the 1987 comic book series Fantastic Four vs. The X-Men as a way to bring the two franchises together. The report specifically pointed out that this movie is in addition to Trank's reboot for the FF franchise.
Fantastic Four vs. The X-Men was a series that teased a revision of the origins of the Fantastic Four -- essentially, that the accident that gave the characters super-powers wasn't actually an accident, but an experiment carried out in secret by Reed Richards, leader of the team -- bringing them into conflict with not only traditional villain Doctor Doom, but also the X-Men, who were working with Doom at the time.
With no announcement from Fox, it's possible that the site is falling for rumor or poorly sourced information (UPDATE: The site has updated the story with a note that "a previous version of this article inaccurately reported a planned film release that combined both X-Men and Fantastic Four," suggesting that was indeed the case), but it's worth noting that an adaptation of the series would be in keeping with the current trend at Fox for adapting existing Marvel storylines instead of creating new stories for each movie. With the X-Men franchise booked up through 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse, is it possible that 2017 could see Fantastic Four Vs. The X-Men on the big screen …?
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera