Ridley Scott in Talks to Direct Matt Damon in 'The Martian' (Exclusive)
Scott will also join Simon Kinberg and Aditya Sood to produce 20th Century Fox's space adventure.
Ridley Scott is in negotiations to direct Matt Damon in The Martian, an outer space adventure project being made by 20th Century Fox.
Scott is sitting in the chair vacated by Drew Goddard, who left the project due to his directing commitments for Sony’s Sinister Six, the planned Spider-Man spinoff.
Scott will also become a producer on the project, joining Simon Kinberg and Aditya Sood, who originally found the book the movie will be adapted from.
Martian was written by Andy Weir and self-published by Amazon on Sept. 27, 2012. Goddard wrote the script.
Described as being in the vein of Robert Zemeckis’ Cast Away and Ron Howard’s Apollo 13 (both of which starred Tom Hanks), Martian centers on an astronaut who is stranded on a Martian colony and struggles to survive. Back on Earth, NASA tries to mount a rescue mission.
At 77, Scott shows no signs of slowing down. The filmmaker, who counts Fox as his home turf, is in postproduction on the Moses tale Exodus: Gods and Kings, starring Christian Bale and opening Dec. 12. Martian will be his 21st feature movie.
He is repped by WME and Ziffren Brittenham.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Here Are Three Amazing GIFs From the 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer
- Kristen Bell is a Hilarious Mary Poppins, Sings 'Spoonful of Sugar' Parody About Wages (Video)
- Marion Cotillard & Jared Leto Lend Their Support at Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation Gala!
- Not Only is Zoe Saldana Pregnant, But She's Reportedly Expecting Twins!