'Rio' Blu-ray and DVD Sets Home Video Record
Film sold more than 2.5 million copies in North America in a week.
Rio so far has proven to be one of the better animated films of the year. The vibrant setting, the infectious music, the funny characters all overcame some of the movie’s more cliched animation tropes and the standard-romantic element and grossed close to $480 million worldwide.
So it’s not surprising the movie is doing great on home video.
Rio sold over 2.5 million copies in North America in its first six days, while the two-disc DVD and Blu-ray combo packs represents 40 percent of retail sales, according to Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. No dollar figures were given.
The company also said the movie, which was released Aug. 2, set a home video record as biggest selling family title ever for an August release in its Blu-ray and DVD debut.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)