Rob Liefeld: 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Changed Fox's X-Men Franchise Plans
The creator of the Marvel series tells Twitter followers that the planned sequel to "X-Men: Days of Future Past" might have stalled the planned "X-Force" adaptation.
If statements from X-Force creator Rob Liefeld are to be believed, Fox’s plans for the X-Men movie franchise may be in flux following the success of X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Asked by a fan about the status of the announced movie version of Liefeld’s black-ops team of mutants, the artist tweeted Monday morning that “Everything changed when X-Men: Apocalypse was announced.” When asked whether that meant that Cable, leader of X-Force, would appear in Apocalypse, he added, “NO! [I have] no knowledge at all.”
I have no idea if Cable will appear in future X-Men films. Hard to believe he won't appear in Apocalypse but I don't expect it.
— robertliefeld (@robertliefeld) June 2, 2014
In comic book continuity, Cable and Apocalypse are curiously linked; the former time-travels to the present day to prevent the awakening of the latter from an induced sleep, but in the process actually causes said awakening. It was later revealed that Cable was the result of an attempt to create someone who could kill Apocalypse, but that he only became the man he is today due to machinations against him by Apocalypse himself. In other words, the two characters belong together, to some degree, making Liefeld’s surprise that his creation won’t appear in the 2016 movie slightly more understandable.
Asked whether there would even be an X-Force movie at this point, Liefeld suggested that the answer is a “coin toss I’d wager…” When contacted by THR, a spokesperson for Fox declined to comment.
THR exclusively revealed that Kick-Ass 2’s Jeff Wadlow would write a script for Fox based on the X-Force series back in July last year. X-Men: Apocalypse, the sequel to this year’s Days of Future Past, was announced by director and producer Bryan Singer in December.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- See the Visually Striking Trailer for Young Ones, With Michael Shannon and Elle Fanning
- The Feminist Horror Author You Need to Read Immediately
- ‘Age Has No Expiration Date’ Is the New ‘Blurred Lines,’ Says Pharrell in New Music Video
- Zoe Saldana Understands Why You Would Mistake Her for Other Black Actresses
- Lea Michele & Boyfriend Matthew Paetz Hit the Big Apple After Italian Getaway
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic Scores First Number 1 Album in 30 Year Career, MAGIC!'s 'Rude' Remains Number 1 Song
- Jake Gyllenhaal Enters World of Crime Reporting in First 'Nightcrawler' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Almost Quit Acting After Her Role in 'Pirates of the Caribbean': 'It Was Very Elitist'