Rob Reiner to Direct Thriller 'You Belong to Me' (Exclusive)
David Murray penned the "Cape Fear"-style script, which centers on a psychiatrist.
Rob Reiner is entering psychological thriller territory, coming on board to direct You Belong to Me for Stone Village.
Written by David Murray and described as being in the tradition of Cape Fear, the project centers on a psychiatrist who does the one thing you are never supposed to do with your patients: talk about yourself.
Richard Lewis and his Southpaw Entertainment banner will produce with Scott Steindorff of Stone Village, along with Alan Greisman.
While Reiner has made plenty of dramas and romantic comedies -- his body of work includes classics Stand by Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally ... and A Few Good Men -- the project marks Reiner’s first stab at a thriller since making 1990s acclaimed Stephen King adaptation Misery.
The director tells The Hollywood Reporter he hasn’t returned to the genre in years because it’s hard to find a story that he hasn’t seen before.
“They are hard to make well, but this one has a deep psychological bent to it and a big twist in the end that I didn’t see coming,” he says. "That's why I decided to take a whack at this one."
Production is planned for the fall in New York and casting will begin immediately for the four leads, which include the psychiatrist, his wife, their daughter and the patient's brother.
Steindorff's Scott Pictures fund will finance. Execs Dylan Russell, Peter Fruchtman and Scott LaStaiti are executive producing. Reiner's Castle Rock and Gabriel Jerou from Southpaw will co-produce.
Scott Pictures recently came on board to produce and finance the Lynne Ramsay film Jane Got a Gun, written by Brian Duffield and starring Natalie Portman, and Olivier Megaton's next film Land of the Living.
Reiner’s recent movies include 2010’s coming-of-age drama Flipped and The Bucket List, starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Magnolia is opening his latest movie, The Magic of Belle Island with Freeman and Virginia Madsen, on July 6, and he just joined the cast of Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street as the father of the title character played by Leonardo DiCaprio.
Reiner, Lewis and Steindorff are repped by CAA. Reiner is additionally repped by Bloom Hergott.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Here Are Three Amazing GIFs From the 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer
- Kristen Bell is a Hilarious Mary Poppins, Sings 'Spoonful of Sugar' Parody About Wages (Video)
- Marion Cotillard & Jared Leto Lend Their Support at Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation Gala!
- Not Only is Zoe Saldana Pregnant, But She's Reportedly Expecting Twins!