Robert Downey Jr. Signs On for Next Two 'Avengers' Films
The actor will reprise his role as Tony Stark in Marvel's superhero sequels.
Tony Stark is back.
Robert Downey Jr. has signed on for two more Avengers films, reprising his role as billionaire Tony Stark/Iron Man.
Under the two-picture agreement, Downey will star in Marvel’s The Avengers 2 and Marvel’s The Avengers 3, Marvel announced Thursday.
Joss Whedon is returning to write and direct the sequel to The Avengers, which was the top grossing film of 2012. Disney and Marvel's first film, starring Downey, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner, has grossed $1.5 billion worldwide to date.
The sequel, which will feature a combination of returning characters and the introduction of new Marvel faces, is slated to begin production in March 2014 and open in theaters May 1, 2015.
Downey has starred as genius inventor Tony Stark since the first Iron Man film, which opened in theaters in 2008. He went on to reprise his role in Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3, which opened in theaters earlier this summer, on May 3, 2013. The threequel went on to become the most successful Iron Man film and the fifth-highest grossing film of all time globally, earning $1.2 billion worldwide to date.
Downey is repped by CAA and Hansen Jacobson.
Follow Heat Vision
- The Letterman Years: Stories From Behind the Scenes of the Show That Changed Comedy Forever
- Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer: At the Very End of the World, Everything Looks Insane
- The Daily Show’s Trevor Noah Is Already in Trouble on Twitter [Updated]
- Ludacris on Ludaversal, Paul Walker, and Reinventing Himself
- Vin Diesel Debuts New 'Furious 7' Clip Starring Paul Walker on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' - Watch Here!
- Uzo Aduba & Lily Rabe Help Honor Sarah Paulson at MCC Theater Miscast Gala 2015!
- Scott Eastwood on Dad Clint: 'He Doesn't Give Handouts'
- Gigi Hadid: It's Not Okay to Model Until You're 25 & Then Become a Housewife