Robert Downey Jr. Confirms $50 Million 'Avengers' Payday
"I'm what's known as a 'strategic cost,'" the actor said of the figure, which THR reported a year ago.
Robert Downey Jr. has confirmed he earned in the $50 million range for last year's box office behemoth The Avengers.
In May 2012, The Hollywood Reporter stated that Downey stood to make $50 million from The Avengers once box-office bonuses and backend compensation were factored in for the film, which stands as third highest grossing of all time worldwide.
GQ asked Downey about THR's $50 million number, with the publication reporting Downey smiled broadly and answered "yeah" when asked if that was about right.
"Isn't that crazy?" he said. "They're so pissed. I can't believe it. I'm what's known as a 'strategic cost.'"
Iron Man 3, Downey’s latest outing as Tony Stark for Marvel Studios, is pacing to make a $150 million debut at the domestic box office this weekend. Oversees, where the film was released internationally last week, it has grossed $345.4 million through Thursday.
Box office observers say Iron Man 3's worldwide haul could top $600 million by Sunday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)