Robert Downey Jr. Confirms $50 Million 'Avengers' Payday
"I'm what's known as a 'strategic cost,'" the actor said of the figure, which THR reported a year ago.
Robert Downey Jr. has confirmed he earned in the $50 million range for last year's box office behemoth The Avengers.
In May 2012, The Hollywood Reporter stated that Downey stood to make $50 million from The Avengers once box-office bonuses and backend compensation were factored in for the film, which stands as third highest grossing of all time worldwide.
GQ asked Downey about THR's $50 million number, with the publication reporting Downey smiled broadly and answered "yeah" when asked if that was about right.
"Isn't that crazy?" he said. "They're so pissed. I can't believe it. I'm what's known as a 'strategic cost.'"
Iron Man 3, Downey’s latest outing as Tony Stark for Marvel Studios, is pacing to make a $150 million debut at the domestic box office this weekend. Oversees, where the film was released internationally last week, it has grossed $345.4 million through Thursday.
Box office observers say Iron Man 3's worldwide haul could top $600 million by Sunday.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Kevin Feige On 'Ant-Man' Backlash: 'I Expected It'
- Yes, Even Rock Stars Like Dum Dum Girls Freak Out When They Meet Their Idols
- Ted Nugent Show Canceled After Native-American Tribe Hears About Rocker's 'Racist And Hate-Filled Remarks'
- Stephen Colbert Asks Nancy Pelosi If She Has Naked Pictures Of John Boehner