Roberto Orci: 'Star Trek 3' Will Be Closer to Original TV Series Than Ever
"Their adventure is going to be in deep space," the writer and director says of the next installment of Paramount's classic sci-fi franchise.
After two movies focused largely on Earth, Roberto Orci is suggesting that Star Trek 3 may finally take Kirk, Spock and the rest of the crew of the Enterprise back out toward the Final Frontier once again.
"The first two films—especially [2009’s Star Trek]—was an origin story," Orci said on the Humans from Earth with Geoff Boucher podcast. "[The first movie] was about them coming together, so they weren’t the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie."
The third installment of the rebooted franchise, which Orci is tipped to direct, taking over from J.J. Abrams following the latter’s move to Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: Episode VII, will show the Enterprise crew "closer […] to the original series characters than you have ever seen," the Amazing Spider-Man, Transformers, Star Trek screenwriter and producer said. "They have set off on their five-year mission, so their adventure is going to be in deep space."
The unnamed third movie will be co-written by Orci, J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay for an intended 2016 release to coincide with the franchise's 50th anniversary.
Fall TV Preview
Follow Heat Vision
- Cersei's Major 'Game Of Thrones' Nude Scene Is Officially Going To Happen
- Kim Kardashian Takes Her Crop Top To The Next Level With A Deep V-Neck
- Famous Women Point Out Exactly Why Leaking Nude Photos Is So Very Wrong
- Melissa Rivers Confirms Mother Joan Is On Life Support, Thanks Fans For Their Kindness
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & Jason Statham Grab Brunch in Malibu for Labor Day!
- Uma Thurman Joins Co-Stars to Premiere 'Nymphomaniac - Vol. II' at Venice Film Festival
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Hold Hands After Romantic Mexico Getaway
- Lady Gaga Reunites with Pet Pooch Asia at LAX Airport - Watch the Adorable Video!