Russo Brothers in Final Talks to Direct 'Captain America 2'
UPDATED: Anthony and Joe Russo are close to being solidified as the film's directors.
Anthony and Joe Russo are close to finalizing a deal to direct the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger for Marvel Studios.
The brothers continue Marvel’s strategy of finding unorthodox helmers for their movies. The Russos are known more for their work in comedy, having directed You, Me & Dupree and directing and executive producing the low-rated but strongly followed NBC comedy Community.
The Russos beat out George Nolfi, the Bourne Ultimatum writer who made his directorial debut with The Adjustment Bureau. The bake-off lasted the better part of a month, with the contenders forced to study The Avengers as part of their exam. F. Gary Gray also was an early contender.
Joe Johnston directed the first Captain America installment, starring Chris Evans as the titular hero. The movie, released in 2011 as part of Marvel's road to Avengers, grossed $368 million worldwide.
The Russo are repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack