Scott Snyder Talks About His Terrifying New Series 'Wytches'
The new Image Comics series aims to "re-imagine what a witch could be," according to the "Batman" and "American Vampire" writer.
His American Vampire series for DC's Vertigo imprint played a part in bringing life back to the undead in comics, and now Scott Snyder -- known best for his best-selling run on the current Batman series -- is turning his attention to another horror trope with new Image Comics series Wytches.
"What I wanted to do was really re-imagine what a witch could be," Snyder told the LA Times about the new series, which was announced at last week's Image Expo. "You see a lot of things about the romance of being a witch or casting spells, and looking back into the history of witches and what they were supposed to be, they're really scary."
The series will be drawn by 2000AD and Savage Wolverine artist Jock, whom Snyder had previously worked with on Detective Comics. "I knew that Jock was the person for it. I didn't ask anyone else to draw it," Snyder said. "I think his art is perfect for it because it's so terrifying at times, the way he draws in this kind of way that's destabilizing with its angles, and it's also really scratchy and dark, and things are hidden in the panels and things pop out at you. It's incredibly disturbing when he wants it to be."
Although Wytches is being published through Image Comics, Snyder was quick to point out that he has no intentions of leaving DC anytime soon, talking about longterm plans for both Batman and American Vampire. However, he said, 2014 will be a year in which he plans to stretch himself in terms of comic output.
In addition to the two DC commitments, he explained, he wants "to do books like this and little projects that I hope will surprise people, doing one-shots that we can release free digitally," adding that he's "working on that right now with a couple people, actually, I don't want to say who they are because I don't want to give them away, but I think they're artists people will be really excited about."
Wytches will launch later this year.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Man Sings Frozen's 'Let It Go' in 21 Different Disney Voices & It's as Amazing as You'd Think!
- Neil Patrick Harris Skypes in Shirtless for 'How I Met Your Mother' PaleyFest Panel!
- Three Grandmas Read Beyonce's 'Drunk in Love' Lyrics & Their Reactions Are Hilarious - Watch Now!
- Lena Dunham & Allison Williams Are 'Girls' Jetting Out of LAX!