'She Makes Comics' Crowdfunds the Oral History of Women in Comics
New Kickstarter-ed documentary seeks to address the perennially overlooked contributions women have made to the medium.
The issue of gender imbalance in comics has become an increasingly discussed one over the last few years, especially when it comes to the lack of female creators working in "mainstream" superhero comics -- there have been articles devoted to comparing the number of male and female creators working at Marvel and DC, series devoted to promoting female creators and anthologies created entirely by women.
To that list, add She Makes Comics -- a documentary that describes itself as "a celebration of women in comics as creators, fans and everything in between" -- which is currently running a Kickstarter campaign for funding, despite already being in production.
"While we don't have actors to pay and sets to build, we do have film equipment and personnel costs," the movie's campaign page explains. "We also need to travel to subjects' locations and to cons around the country. There are post-production costs we need to cover in order to put the film together and polish it off so we can package and send it to you."
She Makes Comics aims to offer an oral history of women's involvement in the industry, with interviews from the likes of Karen Berger, former executive editor of DC's Vertigo imprint, Comic-Con International's Jackie Estrada and underground comix creator Joyce Farmer. Directed by newcomer Marisa Stotter, the movie is a co-production by Respect! Films and Sequart Research and Literary Organization, a partnership previously responsible for documentaries on Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis.
The campaign runs until March 6 and is already more than a quarter of the way to its $41,500 goal. Watch the campaign video below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10