Shout! Factory to Release Director's Cut of Clive Barker's 'Nightbreed'
Twenty-four years after its release, Barker's adaptation of his own "Cabal" novella will see the light of day the way he originally intended.
Ever since the movie was originally released, Clive Barker publicly has longed for a restored director's cut of his horror movie Nightbreed. Next year -- 24 years after the movie's original debut -- he'll finally get his wish, with Shout! Factory and Morgan Creek officially announcing Monday that a fully restored, re-edited version of the movie will be released digitally and on DVD/Blu-ray in 2014.
"When I made the movie, the studio was not comfortable with [my] inversion of the classic structure," says Barker -- who wrote and directed the adaptation of his own novella Cabal more than two decades ago, in which the monsters were the heroes of the piece. "They wanted the monsters to be simple-minded scare machines, while I wanted them to be the dark side of all of us, mysterious and misunderstood. Finally, with this new version of Nightbreed, which contains more than 45 minutes of previously unseen material, my original vision has been realized."
The official confirmation of the new version of the movie follows the unofficial news breaking during July''s San Diego Comic-Con. Shout! Factory will be responsible for next year's release, via its Scream Factory label. The company's founders, Bob Emmer, Richard Foos and Garson Foos, said in a statement accompanying the announcement that they "are huge fans" of Barker and "look forward to working closely with Clive to bring his original vision to life."
Follow Heat Vision
- Theater Review: Between Riverside and Crazy Lies Exellence
- It’s Time to Revisit All 38 Soundtracks to Hit No. 1 Since Purple Rain
- Let’s Talk About the Guardians of the Galaxy Post-Credits Scene
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Theo James Trains to Become Four in 'Divergent' BTS Clip (Exclusive Video)
- Orlando Bloom Continues His Vacation as Rumors Spread About Miranda Kerr's Views on the Justin Bieber Feud
- Kaley Cuoco Steps Out While 'Big Bang Theory' Production Looms Amid Contract Negotiations
- Kit Harington Loses His Signature Curly Hair for Straight Locks in 'Testament of Youth' Trailer - Watch Now!