Shout! Factory to Release Director's Cut of Clive Barker's 'Nightbreed'
Twenty-four years after its release, Barker's adaptation of his own "Cabal" novella will see the light of day the way he originally intended.
Ever since the movie was originally released, Clive Barker publicly has longed for a restored director's cut of his horror movie Nightbreed. Next year -- 24 years after the movie's original debut -- he'll finally get his wish, with Shout! Factory and Morgan Creek officially announcing Monday that a fully restored, re-edited version of the movie will be released digitally and on DVD/Blu-ray in 2014.
"When I made the movie, the studio was not comfortable with [my] inversion of the classic structure," says Barker -- who wrote and directed the adaptation of his own novella Cabal more than two decades ago, in which the monsters were the heroes of the piece. "They wanted the monsters to be simple-minded scare machines, while I wanted them to be the dark side of all of us, mysterious and misunderstood. Finally, with this new version of Nightbreed, which contains more than 45 minutes of previously unseen material, my original vision has been realized."
The official confirmation of the new version of the movie follows the unofficial news breaking during July''s San Diego Comic-Con. Shout! Factory will be responsible for next year's release, via its Scream Factory label. The company's founders, Bob Emmer, Richard Foos and Garson Foos, said in a statement accompanying the announcement that they "are huge fans" of Barker and "look forward to working closely with Clive to bring his original vision to life."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
Follow Heat Vision
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack