Sigourney Weaver Joins Neill Blomkamp's 'Chappie'
Production on the sci-fi movie is underway in South Africa.
Sigourney Weaver has joined the cast of Neill Blomkamp's newest sci-fi movie, Chappie, just as production gets underway in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Just like Blomkamp's last film, Elysium, Chappie is a partnership between Sony Pictures and Media Rights Capital.
Here is the logline, supplied by the companies: "After being kidnapped by two criminals during birth, Chappie becomes the adopted son in a strange and dysfunctional family. Chappie is preternaturally gifted, one of a kind, a prodigy. He also happens to be a robot."
Sharlto Copley is voicing Chappie, while the human cast includes Hugh Jackman, Dev Patel, Ninja and Yolandi Visser of South African rap duo Die Antwoord, Jose Pablo Cantillo and Brandon Auret.
Blomkamp wrote the screenplay with Terri Tatchell. He is producing the film with Simon Kinberg.
Hannah Minghella and Rachel O'Connor are overseeing Chappie for Sony; Brye Adler is doing the same for MRC.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
Follow Heat Vision
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive