Simon Pegg on Edgar Wright's 'Ant-Man' Departure: 'It's Their Loss'
"It's a terrible shame," the actor says of Marvel parting ways with "Cornetto Trilogy" collaborator.
Edgar Wright has remained quiet about his reasons for leaving Marvel’s Ant-Man, but the same can’t be said about his perennial partner-in-crime Simon Pegg, who has spoken to Sky Movies about Wright’s sudden departure from the project.
Pegg recently tweeted that he had read Wright’s original screenplay for the Marvel Studios production, written with Joe Cornish and rewritten prior to his leaving the movie. When asked by Sky whether it was a shame that fans would never get to see that script brought to screen, Pegg replied, “I think it’s a terrible shame.”
He continued, “I think I get, perhaps, why it’s happened — I think maybe [Marvel Studios] want a particular thing in line with a particular other thing, but if you hire a director who has a particular vision, you’ve got to expect him or her to make a ‘such and such’ film, an Edgar Wright film. And that’s what that script was.”
The original script was “interesting, the character has a real journey,” Pegg said. "I can’t say too much about it, because obviously, it’s not my thing, but it’s their loss."
Wright was replaced as director on Ant-Man by Peyton Reed, with Adam McKay announced as reworking the screenplay. The movie is still set for a July 2015 release.
2014 Emmy Awards
Follow Heat Vision
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'